The third day started out stormy and we stayed inside until that evening.
I headed over to Presbytery Point where I started spotting fish along the bottom.
I was really starting to like the new color sonar as it was much easier to see and
pick out the fish and the bottom structure. The reds would show up the denser
objects and so on into blues for the less dense such as weeds and mud.
Rocks and gravel showed up very well and give me a good idea of the transition
zones on the bottom.
Slammer was now over the rods, a good sign that they were walleye I was seeing on the screen.
I dropped the lines on the north side of the point and dragged two crawler harnesses
with 1½ once bottom bouncers 1 mile an hour back toward the 20 foot break
where we spotted the fish. As soon as we hit the drop the first rod went down
and the evenings first walleye went into the livewell.
On the next circle going up the drop we landed another
and I set course for the next pass.
It's important to run back and forth over the break instead
of following the depth they are at. They are expecting the bait
to come off the flats over the brake line and will sit and wait.
It's not natural for the bait to come from the side.
We spent the next 2 hours running a figure eight pattern
over the drop on the inside corner. Twenty feet of water is where
most of the strikes came and I had the spot narrowed in nicely.
By dark we had our limit and brought a few more back.
We had dinner and Slammer was very happy about that.
He followed me into the cleaning station and waited
for his pieces as I cleaned our catch.
Here are the coordinates for the spot N46° 31.997',
content property of
Michigan Interactive ©since 1995 all rights reserved